Happy Birthday!

Happy Birthday!
My wake up text...

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The home He has built is move-in ready...

At daybreak we awoke to a cold, cloudy, dreary morning. As we began to discuss what may be asked by the judge in court, sun rays started to appear and cascade through the windows, reminding us of the Divine Architect. Just before our taxi pickup time, the rays disappeared and the sky became gray, but not with gloom, beautiful snow flurries set the stage for our big event...court! As you may know, no two snowflakes are alike, each has its own identity and when grouped together, create a reflective display of His creation. Much like our soon-to-be family, we are all born with our own DNA and purpose in life. When God unites us, we too, become a reflection of His power and His love.

Those of you that know me really well, know that I am a planner and had my adult life mapped out with all the important details: marriage, house, children (both number and names), etc. Looking back, I had no idea we would be led to adoption. In the back of my mind, I was beginning to accept the role of a non parent with anticipation of another vocation for Him. It just was not clear as to what 'it' was. I can not tell you how many times we talked about adopting over our 17 years of marriage, but just didn't move forward with action. Now, we know why...this time was needed to construct the perfect home for these three children who need us as much as we need them.

During the court proceedings, the older two children were asked several questions by the judge. Svitlana, our shy one, breezed through with no hesitation or quiver in her voice. She told the judge she was sure she wanted to be adopted and was sure she wanted us to be her parents. Honestly, I was amazed at her confidence. I do believe it was the fear of not being adopted that concealed her true personality, thus far.

On the contrary, Nikolas has been boasting on a regular basis what he planned to tell the judge. At one point, he even stated he was going to ask the judge why we had to wait so long before we could fly home. When it was his turn, he froze after his reply of "yes" to the first question which was "Do you want to be adopted?" It didn't matter what question was asked or if a choice was given, he was not able to speak. He began to tremble and I grabbed his hand attempting to provide comfort. I was worried the judge and the panel would deny our petition for him if he was not able to at least explain why he wanted us to be his parents. I also wondered if my hand holding would be perceived as coercion. After what seemed to be several minutes of waiting for an answer, a tear welled up in Nikolas's eye and he was just about to break down. I, sitting beside him feeling helpless, was weighing my options as to whether or not I should ask the judge for a recess to allow for Nikolas to regroup.  Thank God for perfect timing...At that moment, the judge began laughing (as did the panel) and told him it was O.K. He could tell by looking in Nikolas's eyes that he wanted to be with us in America.

Next up, Miss Kateryna. Not according to courtroom procedure though...she made her way up to the front questioning platform after going through many failed attempts of keeping her occupied. At this point, the judge humored her with a question: "Do you want to be adopted and live in America?" Her immediate reply was "Da" (Ukraine for yes). This was enough information to send the panel into laugher again and then into deliberation.

As each child responded with answers of "yes" to their desire to be our child, every second of our wait for His Will to unfold was now behind us.  While it was hard, patience is a virtue!

Once they returned, the judge announced the ruling....the petition to adopt all three has been granted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Introducing our newly constructed family:

Svitlana Ann
Nikolas Henry
and last, but not least, Kateryna Kate

Now, we must wait (AGAIN!) Ukraine has a 10 day wait period. The children will remain at the orphanage until then.

Some other great news to share, Derek and Tamara's petition to adoption their 2 boys was approved today, as well! Looks like it will be the traveling Brady bunch on the flight home:)

As we close for the evening, we know God's presence is all around us...the snow is blanketing the city. A reminder, once again, of His blessings...not only our new family, but all of you! Thanks again for what you have helped accomplish through your prayers and support. Can't wait to see you...We Love YOU!

 

9 comments:

  1. I have HUGE tears streaming down my face! God is GOOD!!!!! I am soooo excited for you! I don't think many of us that experience "empty lap syndrome" think about adoption at first but had I ever known it would be such a blessing - that would have been my first choice!!!
    Love you guys and can't wait to see the WHOLE Butschek family at the airport!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie has requested some Ukrainian movies. She told Svitlana to pick out some for her. Make sure they are appropriate :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Дядько Troy welcomes the big three into the family. Congrats to all, including myself! I cannot way to wait to meet them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.
    Jeremiah 29:11

    I am so happy for you all.
    With love,
    Dan R.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lety gave me your blog....I am forever grateful to her! May the Lord protect you all and bind you as a family. What a beautiful life....
    Debby Chop

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love you so much and can't wait to begin life with you as your complete family returns. Noah is so excited to have a "cousin" his age and Liv can't wait to meet the girls. Me... I just can't wait to see your faces. Such joy is beaming across them. It is about time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. God is so good, and His perfect will is all that we can ask for in this life. I am so happy for you all. What a Blessing to find 3 perfect children at His perfect time. It will be so great to hear that you are all back here and settling in to your perfect home which He has also pre ordained that you would need for this journey. This is the first time I am seeing this site. I will be watching daily for more beautiful photo's and info from you. Love you guys.
    Dina

    ReplyDelete
  8. After crying tears of joy when I first read this, I have been just bubbling over with happiness every day thinking about your precious family that God has perfectly built. I can't wait to welcome you all home and I KNOW you can't wait to be outta there :) But love on all the other precious children in Zhytomyr for me while you can. I miss them all so very much!! Congrats Butscheks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't believe it's FINALLY true!!! Congrats to two AMAZING parents!!! I hope to be able to meet you guys at the airport!!! Following your journey has been an emotional rollercoaster for ME! I can't imagine what you are going through!!

    ReplyDelete

Kateryna & Tanner

Kateryna & Tanner
Hello to you in America!

Preparing for my Broadway Debut...

Preparing for my Broadway Debut...
Starring Kateryna Kate as "Little Orphan Annie"

Apt. view in Independence Square in Kiev

Apt. view in Independence Square in Kiev
Looking out our window tonight in Kiev...

Celebrating the Hill's Adoption

Celebrating the Hill's Adoption
Yes, that is a Mississippi flag in the background in Kiev...odd as Kevin and Becca are from MS!