Happy Birthday!

Happy Birthday!
My wake up text...

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Counting down the days...

The last couple of days have been filled with preparation for our return. Yesterday, I went shopping with the intent of finding a sweater for Sveta to wear for her America debut! (The clothes I brought were too big.) Knowing a 40 year old and 16 year old have different opinions of what is appropriate, I was trying to remain neutral to allow for her to select something she loves (within my parameters). Then, my plan was to give the thumbs down on her selection, buy it without her knowing, and then surprise her with it today. It backfired! The result of my failed plan: Sveta pretended to not really like the sweater and Vika became angry with Sveta because she would not admit she loved it. After about 10 minutes of tention, I was forced to resolve the matter by purchasing the sweater and sharing the details of my failed plan. The girls then laughed and all was well.

Side note: I did, however, use the experience as a learning lesson. I told Sveta she needs to always tell me (respectfully) what she is thinking and feeling. Plus, mothers and daughters hardly every agree on clothing purchases, especially fathers!  There would be times when we must compromise.

Today, I am planning to spend quality time with Nikolas and his brother. I have asked my facilitator to join us to help translate the dialogue between Arthur and me. I am hoping Arthur is willing to open up and share some intimate details about their past so I can help Nikolas work through his emotions. Please pray for Arthur, I know he too must have strong emotions about their past home life. I pray today goes well..I want him to feel and believe he is family too.

Oh, a funny story about Kateryna...last night she was sitting on my lap eating her apple and I told her she could help me pass out chocolate cookies to the children, but each child could only have one (o-din in Ukraine). (Since it was Saturday, I knew more kids would be in range.)  She completely understood my English. She instantly became the cookie police. She would shake her finger at those who came back for seconds and wave at those coming down the hall and encourage them to stop by for a snack! It was quite comical. Again, Katya does not speak Ukraine, only her "doight doight" language. I am constantly encourage there will be a breakthrough with therapy!!!

Enjoy the weekend!

3 comments:

  1. I am so happy to read that your all coming home soon. I can't wait to be able to meet your beautiful new family.
    I also want to wish you a very Happy and Blessed Birthday. God is so good, and your new family is a great gift to receive from Him.
    Love you,
    Dina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dina. Yes, we feel very blessed! At this point, we just want to return home safely and soon. Are you planning a trip down to meet them soon?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are almost home!!!! I talked to Kevin yesterday! I hope all went well today with birth certificates and hoping you will be on your way to Kiev!!!! Give everyone a BIG HUG from me! I miss everyone sooooo much! Is there a family there from Italy adopting Vanya, Victor, and Oksana???

    ReplyDelete

Kateryna & Tanner

Kateryna & Tanner
Hello to you in America!

Preparing for my Broadway Debut...

Preparing for my Broadway Debut...
Starring Kateryna Kate as "Little Orphan Annie"

Apt. view in Independence Square in Kiev

Apt. view in Independence Square in Kiev
Looking out our window tonight in Kiev...

Celebrating the Hill's Adoption

Celebrating the Hill's Adoption
Yes, that is a Mississippi flag in the background in Kiev...odd as Kevin and Becca are from MS!